In cases involving negligence, Oregon personal injury victims have turned to a Portland personal injury attorney for high quality legal representation. When a person’s negligent actions cause an automobile accident, a slip or fall accident or any other kind of injury, it is vital to have an experienced legal representative on your side. Personal Injury Attorneys in Portland is committed to protecting the rights of their clients and fighting for their recovery. There are many cases where a person can benefit from a personal injury attorney. This article will discuss how Personal Injury Attorneys in Portland can help you recover from and prevent further injury and damage.
Most Personal Injury Attorneys in Portland to work on a “no win no fee” basis, which means that they won’t charge you unless you receive results. Winning a Personal Injury Lawsuit is not easy and taking on this kind of case requires years of hard work and dedication. Personal Injury Attorneys in Portland put in long hours, and they have to be willing to take on cases like yours if they want to get paid. Personal Injury attorneys need to prove their worth, prove your innocence, and then they have to prove that they will fight for you and for your rights.
The first thing a Portland Oregon personal injury attorney needs to prove is that he has experience and knowledge of the particular area of law in question. He has to be able to demonstrate that he can get you the results that you and/or your family deserve. Personal Injury Attorneys in Portland has to put in the time and put in the research to prove their skill. A Portland Oregon personal injury attorney knows when he gets a proven result for his client.
Most personal injury attorneys in Portland are familiar with all three branches of Oregon law. They know that if they win their cases, that they will be compensated for their time and efforts as well as for the loss of income that results from the injury or wrongful death. Not all personal injury attorneys in Portland handle personal injuries and wrongful death accidents. Some handle both, but it is more common for them to focus their attention only on the case that involves an accident or a death. If you need a proven result in a case involving an injury or wrongful death, you will need to find an Oregon personal injury attorney who is knowledgeable in the area of the law in question.
Personal Injury Attorneys in Portland is often referred to as criminal lawyers. This type of lawyer is involved in all criminal cases, regardless of whether the charge is a misdemeanor or felony. Some Oregon personal injury attorneys work with clients to try to clear the name of an individual if their reputation has been damaged due to an investigation by law enforcement. Many times, victims of crimes are willing to share witness statements with an investigating officer, but they may not want to name the person who actually committed the crime. This is where a criminal defense attorney can come in handy.
A criminal defense attorney can defend you against criminal charges if you have been accused of a crime. The charges must be proven “unrelated to the victim’s actual loss or damage,” so that your rights to compensation cannot be suspended because the statute of limitations has run out. However, many times people file false claims and claim excessive compensation when they do not actually suffer any injury at all. An Oregon personal injury attorney can help you get the evidence you need to beat these claims. He may also be able to negotiate a plea bargain on your behalf to eliminate the risk of jail time and make it easier to get your medical bills paid.
There are a number of factors that go into choosing a Portland personal injury attorney. The most important factor is how much experience the attorney has. Experience is considered a quality indicator, since the more experience a lawyer has, the more likely he or she will know the right steps to take to win your case. Also, some law firms offer a free consultation to potential clients to give them an opportunity to get to know the firm before making a commitment.
A second important factor is the law firm itself. Portland personal injury attorney have to work very hard to win their cases, so he or she should be a proven results-oriented businessperson. Only by providing the best legal counsel and proving their ability to get results will the lawyers in this firm be successful. You need to find a Portland personal injury attorney that is willing to fight for you and your rights. If you take the time to search for one that have the proper attitude and proven results, you will be on the road to receiving the compensation you deserve.
5 TIPS FOR CHOOSING THE RIGHT PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER
Below are a few steps you should take when researching and evaluating attorneys for your personal injury case.
1. Evaluate their experience.
The more experience a lawyer has in personal injury law, the more likely they are to succeed in your case. That’s because they’ve seen it all, so they know how to handle even the biggest obstacles, from proving the damages of highly complex, catastrophic injuries to seeing through the tricks of manipulative insurance companies.
An accident lawyer with years of experience under their belt is likely already familiar with the kind of personal injury case you’re bringing to them.
To properly assess an attorney’s level of experience, make sure to ask the following questions:
- Is personal injury one of the main practice areas they focus on as a lawyer and as a firm? (For some general-practice law firms, personal injury could be one of a dozen types of law they practice, meaning they only deal with these cases from time to time, and they might not have the right level of experience.)
- How many years has the attorney and law firm been handling these types of cases?
- Does the attorney have extensive trial experience?
- Are they well-recognized and well-respected in the personal injury law community? (This recognition might be in the form of professional awards, membership/leadership in personal injury or trial lawyer associations, etc.)
- Do they have experience handling the specific type of case you’re dealing with? (For example, if you suffered from a brain injury, does their firm have experience winning compensation in brain injury cases?)
2. Ensure they have a strong track record for success.
Keep in mind that there are many attorneys who have years of experience but still do not actually have a strong track record of success. For example, they may be known for giving in to low-ball settlements from the insurance company, or they might not have proven results for winning the toughest, most high-value cases.
As you consider an attorney, review their case results and ask these questions:
- Have they consistently recovered multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts for clients?
- Do they have experience winning cases involving catastrophic injuries and even wrongful death claims, not just accidents involving minor injuries?
- Have they won any awards for their settlements and verdicts?
3. Pay attention to how they engage with you.
Trust your judgment. The attorney-client relationship is important, so make sure that you like the way that you are being communicated with and treated by any lawyer you are considering hiring.
It’s important to pay attention to the following:
- Are they ready and willing to answer any questions you have?
- Are they friendly and professional?
- Are they strong communicators? (Do they clearly explain the legal process, call you back promptly, etc.)
- Are they willing to travel to you as needed?
- Do they seem genuinely concerned about your well-being?
4. Understand their payment model.
Make sure to read the fine print carefully when hiring a new attorney to ensure that you fully understand their payment model so there are no surprises later.
A few good questions to ask include:
- Do they offer a free initial consultation?
- Do they work on a contingency-fee-basis? (This means you only pay the firm legal fees if they win your case. Additionally, your legal fees are taken out of your settlement, or paid by the defendant, so you don’t have any upfront fees related to your legal representation.)
- Can they provide a cash advance to cover costs before your settlement or verdict?
5. Consider what additional resources they offer.
It’s important to think about the additional resources your prospective injury lawyer can provide. Some personal injury law firms offer a higher level of assistance with various elements of stages of the case, creating less hassle for you and a smoother experience overall.
Make sure to ask the following:
- Do they have a network of medical professionals they can use to help you find the treatment you need?
- Can they help you find doctors who are willing to work on a lien basis so your medical expenses can be taken out of your settlement or verdict?
- Can they assist with additional services related to your case such as property damage valuation and liens negotiations (i.e., negotiating costs with your medical providers)?